Opportunities Across Africa, an artisan incubator located in Bujumbura, Burundi is looking to hire a Product Designer and Developer. Opportunities Across Africa work with the rural poor (returned refugees) in Burundi - investing in their development as fully functioning artisan cooperatives, and then linking their high quality, handmade fair trade products to sell to their partner, All Across Africa. In this way they provide a market bundle - investment and training that leads to real market connection - our products are sold in hundreds of stores throughout the U.S.
About the Position:
All Across Africa is an organization with head quarters in San Diego, California and offices in Bujumbura, Burundi, Kigali, Rwanda and Kampala, Uganda. We are looking for a talented design staff to join our growing team that’s impacting thousands of lives across Africa! This exciting position will be specifically working out of the Bujumbura, Burundi office and will work with a UN grant to provide desperately-needed training to returning refugees. Our focus on product development and market connection creates income generating programs that change lives – we need you to make this a reality!
The position will be hands on and directly working with our creative director and designers to forecast, pattern-make, research trends and designs for different lines of product. You’ll have the opportunity to design and develop products that create income for rural poor AND make their way into major US markets and into the hands of thousands of consumers. It’s a great opportunity for the go-getter interested in a fast-paced design job that affects the rural poor in the developing world in a significant way. Are you ready to join us?
- Create and design new product lines for upcoming year and seasons with the direction of the executive leadership
- Develop spec packs complete with product pricing, components and order information
- Create order documents, organizing and indexing all designed product
- Research and sketch new designs made from African materials
- Create handbag patterns and assembly instructions for new handbag lines for the artisans to utilize
- Brainstorm on new product lines and opportunities for new market introductions and future buyer meetings
- Create samples for market prospects
- Create training materials, training timelines for trainers and participants
- 6 months to 1 year experience with a specific focus on design: textile design, color theory and/or product development
- Must have experience designing and developing products
- Must be able to pattern make, sketch, use Adobe design tools
- Must have a proven ability to demonstrate patience, flexibility and energy
- Must be independent, a fast learner, hard worker and self-motivated
This is a full time contract position based in Bujumbura, Burundi. If interested, contact Kristine Sloan at firstname.lastname@example.org