The primary responsibilities of the Director - Sustainability are to enable and accelerate Imagewear, Jeanswear and the CASA's growth by supporting development of coalition and regional sustainability strategy. The position will focus on building and managing a core sustainability program that is focused on Resource Efficiency, Sustainable Products and Community and Employee Engagement. This person will work with business leaders to develop a program to reduce risk across the business and to find opportunities to create competitive advantage and differentiate the brands with customers and consumers. Establish control-related standards and procedures.
Greensboro, NC (will travel often, mainly in North & South America)
- Years of Related Professional Experience: 7-10.
Technical Professional Knowledge:
- At least 7-10 years experience in Sustainability/Product related fields and working with factories to reduce impacts and save money.
- Exhibits technical knowledge unique to the function.
- Understand and has experience of managing cross-sector partnerships and in delivering sustainability programs.
- Bachelors Degree required MBA or Masters in related field preferred.
1. Strategic Leadership and Program Management: Work with brand leaders to develop comprehensive and holist sustainability strategy for the coalitions and regions to reduce exposure to risk, reduce costs, create a competitive advantage with consumers and customers and create brand equity and top-line growth. Ensure alignment across the organization and set up systems and processes to communicate strategy, implement it and track the progress. Understand customers, competitors, consumers, and general sustainability landscape to ensure coalitions are progressing and taking advantage of key opportunities.
2. Resource Efficiency: Work with teams to develop platform for reducing energy, water, and material waste across operations and specifically at our factories. Find cost savings and innovative opportunities to cut environmental impacts. Work with team to audit facilities and create sustainable environments for employees.
3. Product: Support the creation of sustainable products– coordinate closely with the IW, JW and CASA product teams to develop sustainability strategy and stories. Identify the key impacts with the products and work to reduce them and turn them into market opportunities in concert with supply chain and the innovation team. Coordinate efforts with the Sustainable Apparel Coalitions Higg Index and support the marketing teams in developing communication strategies to support efforts. Work with VF and the other brands to find synergies and opportunities to leverage scale.
4. Community: Inspire community engagement – coordinate closely with brand leaders to support local community efforts that create positive impact and provide opportunity for story-telling.
5. Education: Coordinate with local green teams to provide learning opportunities for employees on relevant issues. Employee Engagement: Create and manage internal sustainability cross-departmental taskforce to deliver against goals and ensure employee engagement in programs.
6. Stakeholder Engagement: Coordinate with Coalition Communications and in alignment with VF sustainability strategy a stakeholder engagement plan by identifying key external stakeholders and associated risks and opportunities for the business
7. Tools: Coordinate & support scorecard data collection, reporting efforts and development of other tools to ensure sustainability relevant data tracking and reporting in alignment with VF corporate.
8. Best Practices: Identify opportunities and best practice examples using sustainability lens for Energy, Waste, Product and Community, both in Product Development and broader Operations in alignment and coordination with Coalition and VF sustainability strategy.
9. Corporate Alignment: Participate and contribute to VF’s Sustainability Council.Ensure alignment across organization with corporate program and goals. Share best practices across the VF family of brands and functions.
10. Planning and Implementation: Establish Coalition sustainability goals with department heads and plan implementation and roll out to deliver results and demonstrate business added value.
- Strategic thinking: Proven analytical and strategic planning skills, research skills, and be able to manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Results orientation: Focuses persistently on outcomes, establishes goals, monitors progress toward them and achieves them. And, able to operate in a complex organization by collaborating to build relationships with employees, suppliers, distributors, NGO’s, and other brands.
- Effective Communication/Information Seeking: In order to understand actively listens and seeks first. Conveys information in an appropriate and compelling way. Can alter style of communication based on the audience and the circumstances. Written communications are clear, concise and focused.
- Market Knowledge: Knowledgeable in current and possible industry and business issues, policies, trends and information affecting the business and the organization. Knows the competition and marketplace.
- Flexibility: Has ability to adapt quickly to circumstances and issues which may arise and delivers results under pressure.
- Languages: excels in spoken and written English. Fluency in Spanish is a bonus.
Travel is required 30-40% of the time.
If interested, apply online here.